[erlang-questions] What does it mean when an evaluated expression is a list that contains the pipe character?

Cole Fichter cole.fichter@REDACTED
Tue Feb 24 16:37:38 CET 2015

I came across the example:

> [1,2|3].
[1,2|3]

I understand that the pipe character, |, can be used to append an item to
the head of the list or to pop an item off the list in a pattern match.

But what exactly is happening in the example above? Why does the evaluated
expression still contain the pipe?

My best guess is that the final expression results in a match specification
that could be used in a pattern match. However, that seems strange too
because if so, we'd be popping two items off the list, which should be
illegal.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks!