[erlang-questions] your first choice?

Rad Gruchalski radek@REDACTED
Fri Feb 20 17:20:43 CET 2015

On Friday, 20 February 2015 at 14:39, e@REDACTED wrote:
> > > yaws or mochiweb?
> > > mnesia or mongoDB?
> > > chicago boss or ...?
> > > XML or JSon?
> > > intellij idea or eclipse?
> > > and before i buy a server, Win or Linux or ...?
> > >

> > If I had freedom of choice and problem notwithstanding:
> >
> > Webmachine or Cowboy for the web server. Proper RESTful approaches are too
> > good to leave up.
> >

> if it is "Webmachine or Cowboy?"
> then, no doubt, Cowboy.
>
> i was using both, and it is clear to me that webmachine loses every
> comparison.
>

> > Postgresql for smaller databases (up to 5-10 terabytes in size roughly).
> > After that, it depends on the CAP theorem and if you lean CP or AP. For the
> > latter, Riak.
> >

> Postgresql is an application server in its own right,
> Erlang renders Postgres useless -- Postgres renders Erlang useless.
> Doing Erlang+Postgres is like doing the same job twice.

Care explaining why do you consider postgres  “an application server”?
> > Never pick a "framework", since they always limit you in the long run.
>

> I couldn't agree more!!!
> there is no room for a "frameworks" in a well designed system, using
> appropriate tools.

Really? Do you write everything from scratch for every new project? Your own grid system? Your own reactive css? Your own, I don’t know, deployment tools? Do you use OTP?
I think there’s a common misconception between “a framework” and “a library”.