[erlang-questions] your first choice?

e@REDACTED e@REDACTED
Fri Feb 20 16:06:48 CET 2015

On 02/20/2015 03:39 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM, e@REDACTED <e@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Postgresql is an application server in its own right,
>> Erlang renders Postgres useless -- Postgres renders Erlang useless.
>> Doing Erlang+Postgres is like doing the same job twice.
>>

> No tool renders the other useless, if you happen to know its major
> strengths and weaknesses[0].

please, allow me to rephrase my point:
if two tools compete for the same "job" they are mutually exclusive.

in case of Erlang+Postgres: Postgres provides you very nice application
server, while Erlang provides you interesting means of data storage.

either one has its advantages and its drawbacks.
while the combination of them provides you all the drawbacks of both.

> Furthermore, pg is way better
> at date-handling than Erlang, so I often outsource date-handling code into
> pg.

Exactly what i do all the time! and i have never met anyone to agree
with me on the point :)

> Whenever money was involved however, an SQL Server
> database was used to isolate and "linearize" conflicts.

totally agree.
this is why i delegate all "password handling" and "money jobs" to pg.
to the extent of eliminating any scripting between pg and nginx.

> The gist of pgsql is to provide ACID easily into your platform, so you can
> avoid implementing that for certain subparts, while keeping the rest of the
> system asynchronous and fast. Exactly like Catie and Co. did.

it sounds logical, but i can not imagine how is it practically possible
to keep these two subsystems *so* isolated (independent)...

> [0] Of course, there are exceptions. MongoDB and MySQL are almost
> completely useless because their primary strengths are supplanted by other
> tools nowadays. They mostly exist to handle historical systems, much like
> COBOL.

there are very few thinkers like you in this world. you know?