[erlang-questions] your first choice?

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Feb 20 14:44:45 CET 2015

On 2015年2月20日 金曜日 12:50:22 Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> In "Javascript: the good parts", Douglas Crockford claims JSON is a
> subset of javascript.
>
> On 20/02/2015 12:47, Anthony Ramine wrote:
> > Le 20 févr. 2015 à 13:34, e@REDACTED a écrit :
> >> JSON is a subset of JS.
> >
> > No, it's a data-interchange format. Not all JSON is JS code.

Crockford claims a lot of interesting things about JS from time to time. None
of it has changed my desire to avoid the language as much as possible. One can
do truly brilliant things in truly dumb languages -- there are mountains of
brilliant COBOL where, sadly, the exercise of brilliance was primarily in the
effort to overcome the tools used instead of the problem at hand.

In any case, JSON is a subset of JS in the same way Python dictionary notation
is a subset of Python. It is more meaningful to remember that YAML is a
superset of JSON, as this clarifies the intent of JSON for anyone uncertain of
it.