[erlang-questions] your first choice?

Fri Feb 20 14:09:28 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Peter J Etheridge <petergi@REDACTED>
wrote:

> yaws or mochiweb?
> mnesia or mongoDB?
> chicago boss or ...?
> XML or JSon?
> intellij idea or eclipse?
> and before i buy a server, Win or Linux or ...?

If I had freedom of choice and problem notwithstanding:

Webmachine or Cowboy for the web server. Proper RESTful approaches are too
good to leave up.

Postgresql for smaller databases (up to 5-10 terabytes in size roughly).
After that, it depends on the CAP theorem and if you lean CP or AP. For the
latter, Riak.

Never pick a "framework", since they always limit you in the long run. If I
*had* to, I would research nitrogen or n2o.

Transit for data interchange, naturally (
https://github.com/isaiah/transit-erlang)

acme(1) or sam(1) as the editor (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acme_%28text_editor%29 ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_%28text_editor%29) YMMV a bit here :)

FreeBSD on the server, preferably. If not, Illumos/SmartOS. Then OpenBSD,
then Linux. Windows is not for serious work, but a toy for computer gaming.

--
J.