[erlang-questions] Erlang based C2ISR system

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Feb 20 06:27:30 CET 2015

On 2015年2月20日 金曜日 04:44:47 you wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the input Craig. Highly appreciated.
>
> Do you have any experience with Safir SDk?

No. It looks interesting, but I don't know anything about it.

My main personal interest in battlefield systems is building things that help
inform the E-6 (Staff Sergeant/squad leader) and below -- because those are
the actual tactical decision makers. The higher command and control elements
already have too many toys that present them with the false impression that
they can effectively micromanage combat in progress, and the privates and
sergeants who actually do the work are still relatively tech-blind (NODs,
radios and lasers are not what addresses this).

A close secondary is concepts that can overturn our assumptions about what
"engagement" and "weapon" mean.

A close third is making money.

Unfortunately pursuit of the third has pretty consistently meant that I have
to avoid the first two, because nobody is interested in building a world where
the primary infantry weapon is not the rifle, or making sure Joe can
locate/see whatever John just reported.

Safir looks like it is mostly used for creating systems where the
command/staff is treated as the people who need to know everything first --
but it can probably be used to build a system that reverses that assumption as
well. In any case I wouldn't be able to tell unless I messed with it a bunch
first.

We could continue this discussion off-list if you'd like; I think not many
folks here are into this sort of thing.

-Craig