[erlang-questions] Problem with legacy code when upgrading to R16B03

Felix Gallo felixgallo@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 21:33:05 CET 2015

A constructive note: it's hard for readers (e.g. me) to reason about what's
happening without a full, minimal failing test case, including the data
you're passing in.  Just the act of creating a minimal failing test case is
also a great debugging step that often illuminates/solves the problem
(along the lines of 'rubber duck debugging' (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging)).  For example, maybe
you're passing in the wrong kind of data; that is very common and is
frequently exposed when you type it in a second time and look at it.

For the purposes of this discussion I created a test() function:

test() ->
  X = <<1:128>>,
  Y = <<1:53>>,
  Z = <<1:1>>,
  pad_binary_128(X),
  pad_binary_128(Y),
  pad_binary_128(Z).

and then I run it like so:

Eshell V6.1  (abort with ^G)
1> c(a),l(a),a:test().
Line 100
Line 97
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  a:pad_binary_128/1 (a.erl, line 12)
     in call from a:test/0 (a.erl, line 22)

and see your error when I am trying to use a 53 bit bitstring.

In this particular scenario that matches the clause:

pad_binary_128(Data) when bit_size(Data) < 128 ->
    io:format("Line ~p~n", [97]),
    pad_binary_128(<<Data/binary,0:1>>);

this appears to me be an excessively clever attempt to right-pad the binary
with zeroes.  In particular, the original author thought
<<Data/binary,0:1>> would construct a binary with one zero to the right,
and then recursion would continue until the string was 128 bits long.

As a debug step, let's break out the construction attempt from the function
call:

New = <<Data/binary,0:1>>;
pad_binary_128(New);

now we get the error at the constructor.  How exciting!

So we turn to the documentation (
http://www.erlang.org/doc/programming_examples/bit_syntax.html) and see
that you will get badarg errors when you attempt to construct a binary that
has an unaligned byte boundary -- e.g., anything not divisible by 8.  In
this case, Data/binary could be attempting to convert an unaligned
bitstring into a binary, which can't be done.

In order to fix the problem in a short term way, you could change that to
<<Data/bitstring, 0:1>> and it would run fine.  But it also recurses for
every single bit of padding, which is a little, ah, corkbrained.

Better would be to refactor this code a little so it's a bit more
sensible.  I am by no means an erlang grandmaster but here's how I
personally would do it.  The specs pass dialyzer and there's a brief test
suite that hits some of the high notes.

https://github.com/Cloven/bitpad128/blob/master/bit_example.erl

F.