[erlang-questions] New Erlang job openings

Bernard Duggan bduggan@REDACTED
Fri Feb 13 00:52:25 CET 2015

On 07/02/15 14:38, e@REDACTED wrote:
> On 02/07/2015 01:57 AM, Matthias Lang wrote:
>> On 05. February 2015, e@REDACTED wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Bruce.
>>> please, clarify the issue:
>>> why erlangcentral allows non-erlang jobs to be posted?
>>>
>>> for example the following are C++ and Java positions:

>> 1. You've posted the same link twice.
>>
>> 2. The linked text says "The majority of the development work will
>>     be in C++ and Erlang." That sounds like an Erlang-related job to me.
>>     (Or was it ninja-edited?)
>
> Candidate description
> Requirements:
>     Experience with C++
>     Expertise with ... object-oriented programming
>     Experience with Erlang ... *is a plus*
>
> "is a plus" sounds like someone else long time ago has coded something
> in Erlang
> and the candidate will be coding C++ whole day long.

I can promise you this is an "Erlang job" (for some reasonable
definition thereof) - the mix of code is about 50/50 C/C++ and Erlang,
with most new parts being developed in Erlang. I spent yesterday
neck-deep in debugging some low-level C, and the day before working on
an issue with Erlang.
Saying that experience with Erlang is a plus just means we don't expect
people to know Erlang before starting, because we need to be realistic
about the size of the pool of people for whom that's the case,
particularly in a place as small as Canberra.

Cheers,

Bernard