[erlang-questions] SSL performance

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Feb 11 16:59:20 CET 2015

On 02/11/2015 04:29 PM, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> The cause for this is not the cryptographic library, but Erlang's interface to it.
> Erlang's crypto application uses a non-optimized OpenSSL API to execute the AES
> encryption, while enacl seems to uses an highly optimized version.
>
> Normally when doing AES, you first have to schedule the key, creating an encryption
> context and then reuse that context for every block. Since the crypto application
> doesn't have stream_cipher versions of AES, it has to go through the key scheduling
> on every invocation (every block). Also, OpenSSL can use assembler optimized AES
> functions on modern CPU's, but those are only available when OpenSSL's EVP interfaces
> are used. Erlang's crypto does not use those.

I have seen some work around EVP in the past few months. Is this not
what you are talking about?

commit 425a34001fdd5de8396c5c9903f4f38a9d49a15c
Author: Alex Wilson <alex@REDACTED>
Date:   Thu Oct 9 21:39:29 2014 +1000

     crypto: use EVP for AES-CBC

     This enables the use of hardware acceleration for AES crypto
     on newer Intel CPUs (AES-NI), among other platforms.

Cheers.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu