[erlang-questions] SSL performance

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin@REDACTED
Wed Feb 11 13:03:28 CET 2015

On 11 February 2015 at 14:39:00, SeanD (seand-erlang@REDACTED) wrote:
> We are experiencing a bottleneck in our application that has
> the option of using SSL. Conducting some generic tests, I am seeing
> that SSL can be upto 20,000 times slower when processing large
> amounts of data and was wondering if anyone else has seen the same
> behaviour or can tell me that I'm doing something really silly?
>
> Transferring a 200MB binary between 2 nodes on the same machine
> using gen_tcp is taking between 100 and 200 microseconds, whilst
> transferring the same binary using ssl usually takes around
> 3 seconds! I'm currently using R16B01, but can happily move to
> a later version if this is required.

How many iterations do you run? You seem to be opening a new connection per iteration,
the result then is going to be pretty different from opening just one connection
and performing N iterations over it.

TLS upgrade at connection stage takes more time but data transfer throughput
should be comparable.
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin