[erlang-questions] net_kernel:start oddity

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Feb 8 16:45:14 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM, David Welton <davidnwelton@REDACTED>
wrote:

> > In short, always use a node name with a full FQDN when using long names.
>
> What if you don't know the domain name ahead of time?  To me, it seems
> like there is something behaving oddly.  If nothing else, perhaps some
> additional documentation is needed.

For me (I am using a mixed Erlang+Java environment) the problem was (and
still is) that different tools (Erlang and Java, in this case) resolve
names slightly differently, causing problems. I am solving this by simply
trying to start with different arguments and see which one works. It's not
nice, but I couldn't find any other way that would work for everybody.

> Still though, I'm curious what's actually going on underneath to cause
> the problem I'm seeing.

Did you try to run epmd with the debug flag and check what exactly is sent
over the wire?

regards,
Vlad