[erlang-questions] zlib design flaw?

Park, Sungjin jinni.park@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 04:55:18 CEST 2014

Hi, I'm about to report a problem with erlang's zlib library interface
which I think is a design flaw at this point of time.

We recently had some malicious packets which were not very big in the first
place but inflated to really big ones - hundreds of megabytes each.  As a
result, the server crashed with out-of-memory by the processes calling
zlib:inflate/2.  Urgency forced us to make a custom NIF library with
inflation size limit.  We also studied erlang reference manual but couldn't
find anything useful.  The zlib library source code shows even
zlib:setBufSize/2 does not prevent producing very big binaries.

Not being able to know how big the data would become after inflation, it
should be a quite common problem.  So I'm curious if I missed something
very simple and nice.  Is there anything like that?

--
Park, Sungjin
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.