[erlang-questions] SNMP manager buggy and/or partialy implemented? (snmp v3 usm problems)

Kenneth Lundin kenneth@REDACTED
Wed Sep 3 15:50:51 CEST 2014

Hi

See embedded answer below.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Seb Seb <sebovick@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a full week trying to make snmp application working, specially the
> manager, i have noticed these facts:
> - miss key feature for snmp v3 "agentId discovery", the code exist but is
> commented out (???)
> - normal/synchronization reports from agents are not interpreted and
> treated as errors (discovery) or treated as error and interpreted (in the
> case of sync engineBoots, engineTime),
> - is not yet finished (code comments are freaky: "bug bug bug","what the
> ****", "what about ..."),
> - is not maintained , as far as I can go in the OTP github repository same
> comments...
> - so complicated to configure, that i don't know if there are bugs, or if
> it is me who miss the point (for example, I can successfully run v3 in most
> modes and protocols, but agents (cisco routers) return snmpInASNParseErrs,
> when using auth/sha in conjunction with priv/des while it works perfectly
> with auth/md5 priv/des)
>
> How should I consider the development status of this application? Does
> someone here use it successfully for managing heterogeneous elements?
>
> Sebovick.
>
> The SNMP agent for sure and the SNMP mgr is used in products since 10
years or more
and it actively maintained but this is without use of the SNMP V3. As far
as I know we (Ericsson) have never used the SNMP application with V3 in
products.  The SNMP V3 implementation has been available for +10 years but
since it is not or almost not used we have not actively maintained it
except the test cases we have which are not exhaustive.

Contributions with bugfixes and improvements in this area are are very
welcome.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson