[erlang-questions] Riak stats

Grigory Fateyev gfborn@REDACTED
Mon Oct 6 12:45:48 CEST 2014

Hello!

In our project we need to collect statistics from riak ring. For
example such stats:

 - VNode dispatch operations timings/success/failure counts;
 - VNodes message queue lengths;
 - Total VNodes;
 - Gossip VNodes;

As I see in code, riak has the module riak_core_stats.erl that collects
stats in folsom, but how it constructs metrics name is not very useful
bc we planning to use graphite as DB with naming hierarchy[1]. I can use
those ways:

 1. Get stats from folsom, convert names and push into carbon;
 2. Find breakpoints to collect events in own app and push into carbon.

The First way is not so flexible, we can't control metrics types. The
second gives us more freedom but have a potential problems in future
upgrade.

What do you think about this and which way do you prefer?

 [1]
https://graphite.readthedocs.org/en/latest/feeding-carbon.html#step-1-plan-a-naming-hierarchy

--
Best regards!