[erlang-questions] Calling for help to improve contents on erlang.org

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 10:17:24 CET 2014

On 11/19/2014 12:59 AM, Matthias Lang wrote:

> David Welton wrote:
>
>> I completely agree with Loïc: open source it so that people can work
>> with it and help out.
>
> At the risk of hijacking Bruce's request...one part of erlang.org that
> _is_ open sourced is the FAQ.
>
>     Source:   https://github.com/matthiasl/Erlang-FAQ
>      Built:   http://www.erlang.org/faq/faq.html

Thanks for the FAQ.

I'm probbly dumb. I opened the faq, failed to see a link to github,
closed the faq, read your email...

> FWIW, I put the FAQ on github in 2009. Since then, six people have
> contributed through pull requests, including two I've never met.  A
> few more have contributed by email.

... finished reading your email, noticed some people contributed by
email, tried to find it and finally found the link to github deep inside
a question (and to be perfectly honest, almost missed it even after I
clicked on the right category, but that's probably because I'm tired as
the category is not that big).

If there was a link on top or bottom (or even better considering the
layout, on the left) it would greatly help dumb people like me to find
their way. To give an example, the "fork me on github" thing people put
in the corner of pages is a bit childish perhaps but at least you know
where to contribute before you even started reading.

Same applies to erlang.org when/if it becomes open source. All pages
must have a link to show where to contribute.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu