[erlang-questions] is there a generic file fetcher anywhere?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Nov 18 11:43:19 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Alexei Sholik <alcosholik@REDACTED> wrote:
> Things like HTTP and Git operate on different kinds of entities.

Precisely - what I want to do is abstract out the differences - I see
no reason why I should not
extract a specific file from a git archive given its hash.

> One does
> not simply fetch a file from a Git repository, the whole repository has to
> be cloned (or shallow-cloned).

Why not? - often I do this (ie clone a repository, extract one file)
then throw the rest away :-)

Git is just a key-value blob store whose keys are content hashes - and
a few fancy commands with
silly names to hide this from you.

> Do you have in mind something like "here's my <login> and <password>, please
> fetch whatever this <url> points to"?

I was thinking more of things that are publically available

/Joe