[erlang-questions] Curious: disparate net_ticktime's

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Thu May 22 10:06:36 CEST 2014

> The way the net_tick works is that each node commits to sending at least the frequency of messages derived from net_ticktime (the detection time for four lost ticks, if memory serves). The receiving end will need at least one message within (net_ticktime)/4 milliseconds, or it will time out. After 4 consecutive timeouts, it declares the other node unreachable, without actually verifying that it is there (it will have sent ticks, and they may have arrived, but it doesn’t check that).

Aha...  this could probably be added to in the docs. I'm sure I'm not
the only one with a mental model of the node sending those ticks as
pings every net_ticktime / 4 and expecting a pong back, or something
like that.  It's more like "everyone on the network better be sending
me ticks with this frequency, and if they aren't, they are dead!"

Thank you
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/