[erlang-questions] exometer: per-client connection counts

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Wed May 21 19:02:23 CEST 2014

One thing I have recently added to exometer is “auto-create templates”.
Basically, they are the same templates that exometer had before, but
now complemented with the function exometer:update_or_create(Name, Value).

The function will update the metric, if it exists, or otherwise look for a
suitable template, create the metric, and then update it.

The idea is to be able to maintain metrics for different sessions without
necessarily knowing their identity. A name could e.g. look like:

[my_app, clients, 42, connect]

and a suitable metric type might be a ‘spiral', which maintains the value
for the last minute as well as the total.

Example template, example stored in a file, exometer_defaults.script:

%% -*- erlang-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
[
 {[my_app, clients, '_’, connect], spiral, []}
].

You could do the same thing with folsom, although the code for setup
and update would look slightly different. Also, with folsom, the spiral
window is  hard-coded to a minute, whereas in exometer, you can specify it.

Exometer is easier to extend with custom metrics and has a fairly
ambitious ‘function’ metric, which allows you to call just about any
function and either do limited pattern-matching, or even interpret code,
in order to convert the results into a metric value.

But it sounds like you have a working setup already. Perhaps better
to stick to that?

BR,
Ulf W