[erlang-questions] exometer: per-client connection counts

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Wed May 21 15:44:20 CEST 2014

I'm wondering if exometer can help me with the following problem:

Clients to our server are supposed to stay connected for a reasonable
length of time. We're seeing some clients connecting and disconnecting
repeatedly very quickly. It's difficult to see this in the log file,
so I'm wondering whether exometer (or similar) could help.

What I'm looking for is a way to push a 'client #42 connected' event,
and have these grouped by client ID, and aggregated over, say, a 30
second window. Then, if I saw more than say, 20 connection events from
a particular client within the most-recent window, I could log that as
a warning.

Is this something that exometer (+graphite) can do? If so, does anyone
have an example of how to do it?

We're also playing with having a diagnostics UI -- something like the
RabbitMQ admin UI -- it'd be nice to display the top 20 offenders.

Is this something that exometer (or something else) could help with?

Alternatively, we're already using folsom+folsomite+graphite. Could I
do this using those?

Thanks,
Roger.