[erlang-questions] erlang performance

Thu May 15 12:25:02 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Lukas Larsson
<lukas@REDACTED>wrote:

> Also normally I've found that an Erlang application spends about 50% of
> it's time executing code outside the emulator loop (ets, gc, bifs etc).

Many of my programs spend about 20% time in beam_emu.c as witnessed by
e.g., linux 'perf' tool or pmcstat(8) on Freebsd.

My thought was around doing sampling by using pmcstat and then running a
benchmark with an instruction mix to get an idea of how much time is spent.
Nowadays, I am more interested in memory access patterns when optimizing
for speed - but I rarely optimize for speed. Most programs are fast enough
from the get go in many cases.

--
J.