[erlang-questions] Erlang compilation travails

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Wed May 7 00:03:26 CEST 2014

Hello,

I've been working my way up the Erlang learning curve for several years now quite cheerfully--- coding, installing, compiling, uninstalling, etc. But over the past several days my attempts to install n2o/samples have thrown crash dumps at the very last stages of compilation.

Thinking the problem may be an hardware, OS, or Erlang installation issue, I moved to another box running Debian Wheezy. But on this box installation of rebar fails in the ./bootstrap step.  Moved to second Debian box--- same issue.

The only common denominator is and upgrade of Ubuntu to 14.04 on box one and installation of Erlang under kerl on all three boxes.

Been at this all day trying to get to the root of the problem. Decided to go back to basics and COMPLETELY uninstall Erlang, rebar, and kerl from the first Debian box and reinstall Erlang and rebar from scratch.

But here's the mystery:

lloyd@REDACTED:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove 'erlang*'
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ sudo dpkg-query -l 'erlang*'
dpkg-query: no packages found matching erlang*
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ sudo dpkg-query -l kerl
dpkg-query: no packages found matching kerl
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ sudo dpkg-query -l rebar
dpkg-query: no packages found matching rebar
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ cd .kerl
bash: cd: .kerl: No such file or directory
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ whereis erlang
erlang:
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ whereis rebar
rebar:
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ whereis kerl
kerl:
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ cd /usr/local/bin
lloyd@REDACTED:/usr/local/bin$ ls -l
total 0
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ cd ~
lloyd@REDACTED:~$ erl
Erlang/OTP 17 [erts-6.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V6.0  (abort with ^G)
1>

Yikes! After all that house-cleaning, erl still runs!

So my question: In which dark corner of my directory tree is erl still lurking?

Bonus question: Am I being a stupid dunderhead at somewhere along the line or my computers IPIO (Inate Perversion of Inanimate Objects) deamons?

Help!

Many thanks,

LRP