[erlang-questions] Visual Erlang notation v0.1.0 - feedback request

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Tue May 6 15:28:18 CEST 2014

Hi Richard,

Among many thoughtful comments and contributions, you've touched on a MAJOR documentation meta info oversight in all too many open-source projects:

>       WHAT        does this function do?
>       HOW        does it do that?
>       WHY        does it exist?

WHAT does this project do?
HOW does it do that?
WHY does it exist? (E.g., what problem does it solve?)

The underlying question is, how much can the documentation author assume about the intended reader's level of knowledge? Too many authors assume far too much about the reader and his/her level of knowledge.

We're all noobies at one time or another with respect to one software technology or another. And, as a life-long charter-member noobie, I can't tell you how many worthy open-source projects I've turned away from because I couldn't understand what in the hell was going on or why?

From deep in  Noobieville, I can't say how much I appreciate the fine ideas and thinking emerging in this thread.

Best wishes,

LRP