[erlang-questions] STM vs Actor Model?

Bin Wang wbin00@REDACTED
Tue May 6 07:54:10 CEST 2014

Hi, Richard

Thanks for the answer. One of the situation is like this:

I have a chat service that would have many rooms. Each room have a
limit of the max number of people. When a people comes, it will enter
the room with the least people. I treat every person as an actor and
the room manager as an actor. So every time the people enter or leave,
it will ask and send request to the room manager to update its state.

So the room manager seems to be a single point which may receive many
requests. I'd like to see if STM could speed it up.

And more, if it could speed things up in general.

In distributed system, actors could send messages to each other. But
while on the single machine, is it possible to don't just block the
whole actor while we are requesting it for something?