[erlang-questions] Visual Erlang notation v0.1.0 - feedback request

Torben Hoffmann torben.hoffmann@REDACTED
Mon May 5 13:18:00 CEST 2014

Vlad Dumitrescu writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just a thought that connects with the patterns discussion: linking to
> another process is usually permanent, that is we don't unlink from it.
> Process monitoring can be more dynamic. In any case, it is possible to have
> links/monitors that are dynamic and thus runtime properties. IMHO, one
> might want to handle these differently than the static ones. On the other
> hand, this might be an anti-pattern?

Ai, ai, ai!

Dynamic linking/monitoring is far from trivial.

The idiomatic danger of unlinking is that you can end up with processes that are no
longer associated with the supervision tree of your application.

In most cases you would probably have some naïve link in the supervision tree and
then add linking/monitoring from a different place in the tree to the processes you
are interested in.

Do you have a good example of where you use dynamic linking/monitoring that we could
base the discussion on?

I'd hate to provide notation for anti-patterns, but if we are missing something on
the dynamic front then now is a good time to get it in.

Cheers,
Torben