[erlang-questions] obviously no bugs? (Re: Alternative supervision approaches)

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Thu Jun 26 20:23:30 CEST 2014

Raoul Duke wrote:

> while i love erlang and all this stuff, on the other hand it all feels
> like people are not having any love for things like actually modeling
> their system and doing static checking of it before hand. instead we
> just throw in some hacky timeouts and hope it will get unstuck
> eventually.

> The workers will restart a few times, then the parent
> fails but does not restart. Monitoring plus some strategies for
> altering the setup environment can be used before reinstantiating
> the children on the transient supervisor.

I was referring to something formally based on an FSM and detecting the current
environment and state of the node before restarting the children and not just using
timeouts. Not sure if that was clear based on your response.

jay