[erlang-questions] obviously no bugs? (Re: Alternative supervision approaches)

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Thu Jun 26 19:24:20 CEST 2014

> One technique for allowing a service to fail and restart later when
> conditions have changed is to make a restart strategy for the
> supervisor of workers, but make its supervisor use a transient
> strategy. The workers will restart a few times, then the parent
> fails but does not restart. Monitoring plus some strategies for
> altering the setup environment can be used before reinstantiating
> the children on the transient supervisor.

while i love erlang and all this stuff, on the other hand it all feels
like people are not having any love for things like actually modeling
their system and doing static checking of it before hand. instead we
just throw in some hacky timeouts and hope it will get unstuck
eventually.

that makes me really kinda sad, even if it does let people just get on
with life and shipping products :-}. i wish things like TLA were more
de rigeur.

of course i'm the pot or kettle who lives in a glass house since i've
never used TLA myself :-(