[erlang-questions] Dependencies, included applications and supervision

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 22:42:51 CEST 2014

On Jun 25, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 06/25/2014 10:32 PM, Jay Nelson wrote:
>> 2) You have to sprinkle ‘ensure_started’ calls throughout your code if there is a
>> dependency. And trust me, you can never be completely assured that it is started
>> at any given moment, ensure_started is yet another race condition.
>
> I'm sorry what?
>
> Why would you ever call ensure_started outside of the shell while developing or a test suite? Releases figure out dependencies and start applications in the appropriate order.
>
> --
> Loïc Hoguin
> http://ninenines.eu

Why does crypto code always do this?
What if your application goes down but doesn’t take the VM with it?
If there is a dependency, you must ensure that the required application
is started, not just when you start your application, but at any time later
after which it may have subsequently failed.