[erlang-questions] Is lhttpc project alive?

Danil Zagoskin z@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 06:23:07 CEST 2014

Hi Paulo!

Yes, the bug is quite simple but annoying. First, how lhttpc works:
  * before each request the client makes call to lhttpc_manager to check if
there is a free socket for an endpoint:
https://github.com/esl/lhttpc/blob/master/src/lhttpc_manager.erl#L199
  * lhttpc_manager holds all sockets which aren't in use
  * it handles 'closed' messages from sockets:
https://github.com/esl/lhttpc/blob/master/src/lhttpc_manager.erl#L340
  * the function remove_sockets calls 'close' on socket one more time:
https://github.com/esl/lhttpc/blob/master/src/lhttpc_manager.erl#L419
  * actual call to corresponding handling module is at
https://github.com/esl/lhttpc/blob/master/src/lhttpc_sock.erl#L176

The problem is in ssl:close — it may block for many seconds, causing
lhttpc_manager not to serve client requests and thus preventing all new
requests from running. Some requests will fail with 'timeout' which seems
like bad service on the other side.

Currently we use such simple hack to workaround the problem:
  * replace ssl:close(Socket) on lhttpc_sock.erl#L176 with
proc_lib:spawn_link(ssl, close, [Socket])
This may lead to other problems (no control of spawned processes) and does
not solve the problem completely (there are some minor blockings on
setopt), but works as quick fix.

Danil Zagoskin | z@REDACTED