[erlang-questions] The quest for the perfect programming language for massive concurrency.

Steve Strong steve@REDACTED
Thu Jan 30 19:49:21 CET 2014

I’m an emacs guy, and most of what you want is in there - however, completely understand the pain in switching editors, so some vim-specific comments below...

--
Steve Strong

looks like vim can do this: http://blogs.gnome.org/lharris/2008/07/20/code-completion-with-vim-7/.  I’m sure there are other options as well...

Try something like https://github.com/rustyio/sync (reloads beam files whenever they change) combined with something like https://github.com/mynyml/watchr (watches a directory, and runs a command (such as “make”) whenever anything changes).  That way, you save the file and then test the results.  No need to stop / start the VM in the majority of cases.  Even better would be to have a test suite rather than an interactive prompt and just have the tests automatically execute.

> That is a development cycle that would drive me NUTS.
>
> 3) Automatic dependency fetching. I understand rebar can do some of this but how do I fix versions of modules and so on? Do I have to compile every third party lib?
rebar.config (and erlang.mk is you wanted a pure make approach) can both fetch deps, and both support fixing the version of the deps that are pulled, by tab, by branch, by commit hash etc.  And yes, you do need to compile them - but the occasional “rebar compile” doesn’t seem much overhead.

> 3) Syntax coloring. (VIM color codes a file so that is there, emacs I don't know AT ALL.)
I don’t know of any editor that doesn’t do this - even github displays syntax colouring on erlang files.

not a user of VIM (emacs does this stuff just fine), but a single google search reveals http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/windows.html - which suggests it can do pretty much everything

> 5) Refactoring. This is one of the tools I am reluctant to give up. If I change the signature of a method I do not want to have to go change 40 files manually. NO thanks.
This is something that’s harder - there’s a plugin for Emacs called Wrangler that can do some refactoring, don’t know of anything for VIM.  That said, although I’m an emacs guy, I don’t bother with Wrangler.  If changing a method signature means I have to edit 40 other files, then I think I’ve got *much* bigger problems.  The insanely good refactoring support in Visual Studio (particularly with Resharper) enables the hiding of a multitude of sins, allowing code to become far too closely coupled without noticing until way too late in development.  Not having that kind of support makes me write better code in the first place.  The only time I’d be needing to edit a lot of files is if I’m changing so very low level utility - typically, these tend to be so trivial that they rarely if ever change, so it’s not often a problem.

> It could be I have to learn Emacs. Being a vi guy for 20 years, that will take some adaptation I can tell you.

I certainly wouldn’t suggest switching editors - although the religious zealots will insist that one is far better than the other, the reality (imo) is that both are highly capable and can do the bulk of what people need with a few hours work on google and with the configuration.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Steve