[erlang-questions] The quest for the perfect programming language for massive concurrency.

Steve Strong steve@REDACTED
Thu Jan 30 18:12:50 CET 2014

I'll chip in on the part about the tooling - I was a C# / Visual Studio dev
for 10+ years when I switched to erlang. For the first perhaps 4 weeks, I
missed hitting 'dot' and having the computer tell me what to do; then I
started noticing that I was actually remembering what stuff did, rather
than relying on the IDE.

I also found the build tool chain awkward, but it turned out that 'make'
was rather good - and the total lack of black magic made it obvious how to
fix build / release issues when they did occur (ignoring here the rather
arcane syntax for retool!)

Within a couple of months I've no doubt that I was more productive than I'd
been in Visual Studio, and now, 3+ years on, you'd have to pay me
significant sums of money to go back to those 'advanced' tools.

Cheers,

Steve