[erlang-questions] IDE: call for feedback

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 09:28:55 CET 2014

Hi all,

This time I don't want to get into philosophical discussions, but to
try to get some straight feedback.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
>> - Lack of IDEs (that was your prime concern when you joined these lists)
>
> I bet the people who worked on Distel and ErlIDE,
> amongst others, feel sick every time someone says there
> is a lack of IDEs.

Thank you for the appreciation, Richard!

I can't speak about the developers for other IDEs (and there are
several more, depending a bit on what one labels as IDE as opposed to
"just some syntax support in an editor"), but I am working hard and
doing my best to make erlide something that people will use and will
want to use. I know we have users, so erlide can't be all wrong. They
are however not as vocal as "the other team", so these discussions get
a bit one-sided.

To those that have tried erlide and found it inadequate: please let me
know what you think is missing, what is bothering you about it,
hopefully in not too vague terms (think: what kind of requirements
would _you_ like to get?). You can answer at
https://erlide.uservoice.com or as issues at
https://github.com/erlide/erlide/issues (or here, but maybe not
everybody is interested).

To everybody else: if you have suggestions and ideas, please let me
know about them.

This is a much more constructive way of helping IDEs improve, by
guiding us (all IDE developers) towards addressing the things that
really matter to you.

I am only one person working with this at the moment and there's a lot
to do (currently there are around 500 open tickets), so not everybody
will get an immediate answer, but I promise I do consider carefully
all requests. It's not by far as fast as I (or you) would like, but
it's going forward.

Thank you very much in advance for your input and help!

best regards,
Vlad