[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

kraythe . kraythe@REDACTED
Wed Feb 12 23:04:39 CET 2014

I am a newbie to Erlang so pardon if the question comes off as impertinent.
However, as I read more into OTP and see the power it has, I am more and
more irked by its name. The Open Telephony Platform seems to be a little
limited and I wonder if it would put off people trying to adopt Erlang for
other use cases.

I am wondering wouldn't it be better to call it the Open Technology
Platform? The same initials can be used, but the understanding would be
that the platform would be a general purpose library (which it is) useful
for many endeavors, not just writing a phone switch.

Sure it might seem trivial but any marketing guy will tell you, naming is
sometimes everything. So am I nuts here?

*Robert Simmons Jr. MSc.*