[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Fri Feb 7 07:48:43 CET 2014

Greetings,

I think you have a correct thread summary here below.

Perhaps the thing that Lukas mentioned, ie that any formatter must be good enough top not introduce bugs, should also be added?

And maybe Rickards (later) email about the need to set tabs to the right amount of spaces, when it is configurable, if you need to use programs that have the tab width hard coded?

bengt
From: Garrett Smith [g@REDACTED]
Sent: Thursday, 06 February 2014 5:02 PM
To: Bengt Kleberg
Cc: erlang-questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

This has been a very productive thread. If I may try to summarize, for
posterity:

- Mixed tabs and spaces present challenges for programmer using
different editors and contributing to projects with varied or poorly
defined white space standards

- There are a number of possible solutions to this problem, many of
which have been mentioned here

- The cost of discussing this problem is so much higher than cost of
actually dealing with it - even in cases where a programmer has to
manually copy and past formatted lines to preserve a source file's
dark, twisted and immortal formatting - it's *still much easier* than
talking about how to fix the underlying problem

I feel a certain liberation knowing this.

These are my opinions, which are facts.

Garrett