[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 21:27:35 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM, kraythe . <kraythe@REDACTED> wrote:
> Actually the solution to this age old debate was proposed to me by a friend
> of mine and its genius on a number of levels but isn't implemented anywhere.
> The reality is that for most languages whitespace is irrelevant so it
> shouldn't be the code holding the indentation but the user's preference
> file. Imagine a source code repository where there is NO irrelevant
> whitespace in the code base. For java, for example, there would be literally
> only one single line of code. Now when you check out you have a preference
> file that says you want tabs or spaces or mixed and also defines the other
> formatting you prefer. When you check out the system reformats the code
> according to your specs dynamically. When you commit, it strips your code of
> whitespace before comparing.

Absolutely, this would fix it. But we don't have tools that can handle
that yet and I fear that implementing those and convincing people to
use them would take longer than agreeing on a saner alternative for
whitespace.

regards,
Vlad