[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

kraythe . kraythe@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 21:21:51 CET 2014

Actually the solution to this age old debate was proposed to me by a friend
of mine and its genius on a number of levels but isn't implemented
anywhere.  The reality is that for most languages whitespace is irrelevant
so it shouldn't be the code holding the indentation but the user's
preference file. Imagine a source code repository where there is NO
irrelevant whitespace in the code base. For java, for example, there would
be literally only one single line of code. Now when you check out you have
a preference file that says you want tabs or spaces or mixed and also
defines the other formatting you prefer. When you check out the system
reformats the code according to your specs dynamically. When you commit, it
strips your code of whitespace before comparing.

Now that would rock. Not just for tabs but the other code holy wars like
drop braces and so onl

*Robert Simmons Jr. MSc. - Lead Java Architect @ EA*
*Author of: Hardcore Java (2003) and Maintainable Java (2012)*
*LinkedIn: **http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-simmons/40/852/a39