[erlang-questions] High CPU usage problem

Guilherme Andrade g@REDACTED
Sat Dec 20 17:19:42 CET 2014

Hello gongtao,

Besides 'message_queue_len', I would also look into 'reductions' over
time (also using process_info/2.)

As for big message queues, if the CPU is not overloaded, in most cases
it's due to single processes becoming a bottleneck, whether due to IO
and/or heavy crunching; if they can be pooled or split into multiple
ones, the better. However, you say that CPU is topping at 100%, so it's
most likely that it's just too heavy.

Long-running NIFs could also cause weird behaviour in the scheduler.

This dirty (multiple) one-liner should give you some insight into
reduction count:

------------------
rp([{-Reduc, Pid, case process_info(Pid, registered_name) of
{registered_name,Name} -> Name; _ -> '_' end} ||
    {Reduc, Pid} <-
    lists:foldl(
        fun(Pid, L) when length(L) > 40 ->
                SL = lists:sublist(lists:keysort(1, L), 20),
                case process_info(Pid, reductions) of
                    {reductions,Reduc} -> [{-Reduc, Pid} | SL];
                    undefined -> L
                end;
            (Pid, L) ->
                case process_info(Pid, reductions) of
                    {reductions,Reduc} -> [{-Reduc, Pid} | L];
                    undefined -> L
                end
        end, [], erlang:processes())]).

Cheers,