[erlang-questions] gen_fsm timer getting canceled/never firing

Matthew Evans mattevans123@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 18:11:03 CET 2014

Right, as I said we don't protect handle_info or handle_event in this case (i.e. we don't restart the timer). However, I am fairly certain that nothing is sending an event that would cause these callback functions to get called.
The only odd thing I see is the :
=ERROR REPORT==== 16-Dec-2014::09:39:44 ===** Node node@REDACTED not responding **** Removing (timedout) connection **
Between when the timer was set and it should've been called.
But I will add the timeout to handle_info/handle_event anyway.

From: jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:44:40 +0100
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] gen_fsm timer getting canceled/never firing
To: mattevans123@REDACTED
CC: erlang-questions@REDACTED

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Matthew Evans <mattevans123@REDACTED> wrote:Is it possible that timers could get canceled for some unknown reason?
Such a timer is cancelled if *any* message arrives or another event happens. The callback timeouts only trigger if no other event happens in the window. For a more surefire way, see gen_fsm:start_timer/2 which runs on the internal erlang timer and doesn't have this problem. You often see the call-back timers missed due to someone altering the FSMs behaviour in a way such that it does not trigger. Or if the system suddenly experiences more load so the timers won't trigger anymore.

--
J.