[erlang-questions] embedded systems erlang?

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 12:48:02 CET 2014

Hello,

Erlang demands some memory on embedded system but you can run decent applications on some HW platforms.
I think the lowest grade HW is Raspberry PI B Model with 512MB RAM (I’ve not touched HW with lower memory).
I am successfully running OTP 17.3 with web server that proxies requests to serial port. This is not a faster solution available on the globe but it address my immediate needs as fault tolerant HW controller.

I’ve made some benchmark for you with 8 concurrent load source that sends HTTP POST request to web server over Wi-Fi, the payload is 1KB. The server handles 75 RPS on average, the memory consumption peaks to 24MB. Mean response latency is 250ms but 95th percentile goes to 500ms. However, the single load source with same traffic pattern shows different results. The benchmark driver generates about 50 RPS on average, mean response latency is less then 100ms, 99 percent of requests is responded within 250ms.

Just starting the shell on 17.3 on Raspberry PI B Model uses about 7 MB but you can reduce it to 4MB with some VM restrictions on number of processes, stack sizes, etc.

root@REDACTED:/home/pi# erl
Eshell V6.2  (abort with ^G)
1> erlang:memory().
[{total,6596552},