[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Dec 16 13:52:38 CET 2014

On 12/16/2014 02:43 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED
> <mailto:essen@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Actual package management is not needed at all in my workflow where
>     everything is a dep, including test, documentation and other tools.
>

> I may be wrong, but I believe that 'package' in this context means what
> you mean by 'dep'. You still need to fetch the dependencies and you

No. From the first post:

 > Fetch, Install and Remove Packages
 > Versioning and Dependency Management

I have no use for installing packages.

There was also no mention of that package manager doing something like
deps either (nor do I want it to: booting the Erlang VM to then call
"git clone" is not particularly efficient, and efficiency is important
for my workflow).

> don't care about another tool because (I guess) you are using rebar

I am using erlang.mk which implements something similar to rebar, yes.

> which implements this thing. My understanding of this package manager
> thing is that it separates this functionality, unifies the different
> features that rebar, mix, hex, agner etc have and makes it available so
> that we don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Unfortunately in my case I will have to keep maintaining a separate
wheel because I do not want to boot the Erlang VM for these things.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu