[erlang-questions] Why doesn't Erlang has return statement?

Ola Bäckström Ola.Backstrom@REDACTED
Tue Dec 16 10:59:18 CET 2014

> Moreover, is there a good alternate to avoid nested case statements? Making more functions just seems tedious.

Making new functions can actually be a good choice, if you find good names for them.

But if the expressions to make decisions on are non-expensive and without side effects you can make more compact case statemens by combining 2 (or more) expressions into one tuple.

Example with 2 nested:
case condition1() of
                            true ->
                                                          case condition2() of
                                                                                       true ->
                                                                                                                    doA();
                                                                                       false ->
                                                                                                                    ignore()
                                                          end;
false ->
                                                          ignore()
end

Simplified:
case {condition1(), condition2()} of
                             {true, true} ->
                                                          doA();
                             {C1, C2} when is_boolean(C1) andalso is_boolean(C2) ->
                                                          ignore()
end

> Using catch statement seems another good alternate but my intuition is that it is not good practice, is it?

I don’t see how catch statements can help out in this scenario, but definitely the more modern try-catch statements can be used if you need to catch something.

/Ola