[erlang-questions] Tuple Matching Question

Jared Kofron jared.kofron@REDACTED
Tue Dec 9 20:18:08 CET 2014

Hi Santosh,

No, you can't pattern match on the head of a tuple, because a tuple doesn't
have a head in the same sense that a list does.

The size of the tuple is part of its type - {A,B,C} is of type {any(),
any(), any()}, whereas [A,B,C] has type [any()].  If I remove the first
element of [any()], I get something of type [any()], whereas if I remove
the first element of {any(), any()}, it's of type {any()}.

So there's no cons operator for tuples in the same way that there is for
lists, because adding/removing some element of a tuple actually changes its
type.

That's how I think of it, anyhow.