[erlang-questions] minor releases in Erlang?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Dec 3 23:29:52 CET 2014

I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Many users are hit by this issue, and many users will be hit by this
issue at least until 17.4 is released (and that's me hoping 17.4 will be
an official release).

A week ago I helped 2 users solve this issue on this very same mailing
list (solution: using kerl git, or downgrade).

Yesterday I helped a user by email that had this issue.

Over just the past couple weeks I also had some tickets or answered IRC
questions about this issue, both for my software, other third party
software and software coming with OTP (httpc).

It is my opinion that it was a terrible decision (if one was even
considered) not to have made 17.3.2 be a full official release. This bug
breaks several applications that come with OTP. All code that uses SSL
as a client is broken. We can only hope that few users will decide to
settle on 17.3, because otherwise we will have to "fix" this issue for a
long time to come.

It is a breaking bug the same way syntax_tools was broken before and a
new release was issued. I am not sure why this didn't happen this time?
There's probably more code that makes use of the client SSL code than
syntax_tools...

Hope this email does not sound too catastrophic...

On 12/03/2014 11:14 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> It has been probably answered before, but what is the reason to not make
> official release for minor updates? Ie. when a version is tagged a
> release could be made available to the community. Today that could be
> done using any CI tool so I guess the reason is other.
>
> I am asking because today an SSL issue was raised in hackney.  I am
> generally using the latest tag, or recent version so I didn't noticed
> that the code I was using wasn't working for all certificates on
> previous version:
>
> https://github.com/benoitc/hackney/issues/141
>
> I am not sure right now how to solve such issue. Is there a way to test
> the minor version available?  On the other hand sometimes as a temporary
> workaround I could point someone to use the last release. But in this
> case that not simple, since it imply a build and in some infrastructure
> it would be impossible. How others do?
>
> - benoit

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu