[erlang-questions] Why EEP-0018 "JSON bifs" (and conforming libraries) are "wrong" about object encoding (i.e. `[{}]`)

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Wed Aug 27 20:45:30 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Josh Adams <josh.rubyist@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Bob Ippolito <bob@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> If there was a mochijson3 it would surely use maps rather than {struct,
>> proplist()}. Perhaps EEP18 should be amended for Erlang 17?
>>

> I would assume this isn't true until maps are fast with a large number of
> keys though...would that be accurate?  I definitely have plenty of json use
> cases that would likely perform poorly until that change occurs.

This is all hypothetical anyway, but I would assume that maps are going to
be faster in 17.1 or 18 at the latest. I expect that any sort of
standardization effort (and for usage of 17+ to hit critical mass) would
take at least that long.