[erlang-questions] Erlang and Akka

Darach Ennis darach@REDACTED
Tue Aug 26 23:18:36 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

Comparing Akka to Erlang/OTP is complex by its very nature. Akka streams and
transactors have no direct translation to Erlang/OTP for example, at least
to my
knowledge. Akka as a recent incarnation of the actor model has some ideas
that
should inspire innovation in OTP. Akka clustering, for example, was
inspired by
Riak core. So when we compare Akka are we including that? Should we widen
OTP to include riak core to have a fairer comparison to Akka?

If you are in a JVM environment. It is far better to adopt Akka than to
roll your own
actor style framework. However, if your domain lends itself well to natural
concurrency
it will be fairly easier to describe and implement that system using
Erlang/OTP.

If, on the other hand, you require fine grained concurrency control and
multi-threading
then the JVM *will* suit you better, on average, but it'll cost you at the
long tail, and when
the the stop-the-world pause hits you, it can hit you terribly awfuly badly
(unless you have
mastered the art of JVM and GC tuning - there are over 800 tunables, so
good luck!). Its just
something one has to get used to when dealing with the JVM.

Ultimately, making an informed choice between Erlang/OTP and JVM/Akka
requires deeper
thinking. There isn't enough overlap between the communities to be easily
able to weed
out individual or community bias (I am tarring myself with this brush too!)
For your application, it
is already using Erlang, so why not check out some of the cassandra
bindings available such
as (in no particular order):

https://github.com/dieswaytoofast/erlang_cassandra
https://github.com/matehat/cqerl