[erlang-questions] Erlang and Akka

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Aug 26 21:41:41 CEST 2014

My main concern with anything JVM would be the lack of per process GC
which means that latency will suffer (due to stop the world GC).

I do not know Akka so my comparison stops there. Maybe you should
explain a little what your application is doing/background/... so you
can get better advice on whether you should use one or another.

On 08/26/2014 10:34 PM, Youngkin, Rich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on an application written in Erlang. In recent months there
> have been more and more questions questioning Erlang/OTP.  There is
> general recognition that many of the Erlang/OTP's features (e.g.,
> immutable state,supervision) are beneficial.  The questions mostly
> revolve around availability of Erlang expertise and supporting libraries
> (e.g., Cassandra support just to name one whereas Akka has the entire
> JVM ecosystem available to it). Akka has been proposed as an alternative
> to Erlang.
>
> Googling around for good comparisons between Erlang and Akka hasn't
> turned up a lot of useful information, but there is some (e.g.,
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4491039/how-does-akka-compare-to-erlang).
>
> I'd be interested if anyone in this community has any advice and/or
> opinions regarding Erlang vs. Akka.  Anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu