[erlang-questions] Univs starting with Erlang

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Sun Aug 17 16:38:18 CEST 2014

The IT University of Gothenburg started using it as a second language
(after Java) in 2003. It was as part of the second year project term,
and at one point, also used in the AI course.

Francesco

On 14/08/2014 23:51, Juan Jose Comellas wrote:
> That is really cool! I've been working in Erlang for about 8 years in
> Argentina and I never knew a university there was using it as part of
> its curriculum.
>

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Guido Rumi <guido.rumi@REDACTED
> <mailto:guido.rumi@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Universidad Nacional de Rosario (Rosario-Santa Fe, Argentina) also
>     teaches Erlang. It's used to teach concurrency, message passing
>     between processes, etc. as part of the first course of Operating
>     Systems in Computer Science. To finish the course it's required to
>     program a mock Distributed File System in Erlang and an other
>     version in C. That made me realize the benefits of using Erlang in
>     concurrent systems, the version coded in C was much more tedious
>     to accomplish and debugging was an issue.
>
>     Links: http://www.fceia.unr.edu.ar/lcc/r322/enlaces.php
>

>     On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Rustom Mody
>     <rustompmody@REDACTED <mailto:rustompmody@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>         Hi
>         I am collecting material about univs starting programming with
>         functional programming:
>         http://blog.languager.org/2014/08/universities-starting-functional.html
>
>         Erlang figures but only in 2nd/'advanced' courses.
>         Are there any cases where Erlang is used to start teaching
>         programming?
>
>         Thanks
>         Rusi

Founder & Technical Director