[erlang-questions] Erlang node using ranch stops accepting SSL connections

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Tue Apr 15 15:12:05 CEST 2014

I've got a problem where my Erlang node stops accepting SSL
connections. I start it up, and it works fine for a couple of minutes,
then it just stops accepting connections.

By works fine, I mean:
- It appears in "netstat -a | grep LISTEN"
- "telnet localhost Port" works fine.

After a couple of minutes, it simply stops accepting connections:

- telnet gets connection refused; a simple Erlang ssl:connect gets
{error, econnrefused}.
- If I look in netstat, I no longer see the LISTEN entry.

However, if I look in inet:i(), the socket is still shown as ACCEPT.
This is unchanged from the working state.

I'm using ranch 0.9.0; I think I've followed the instructions for
supervising it correctly -- I call ranch:child_spec and add it to my
supervisor. I _am_ creating the listen socket myself.

If I enumerate processes, I still have plenty of processes sitting in
ranch_acceptor:loop/3, in turn blocking in prim_inet:accept0/2.

The owner process for the socket is still running. It's my supervisor,
which is in turn supervising the ranch_listener_sup. I've verified
this with sys:get_state(Pid).

This is on Mac OS X (Mavericks), running Erlang R16B03 from Homebrew.
The same code works fine on Ubuntu.

Question: how do I go about figuring out who killed my socket?

Regards,
Roger.