[erlang-questions] how do you build your releases with/without rebar?

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Thu Apr 10 11:17:38 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:

>  If you need "rebar generate" behavior in a way that doesn't have extra
> checks blocking its success and is able to report errors (problems rebar
> has had in the past), without the logic for windows support, there is a
> script here:
> https://github.com/okeuday/reltool_util/blob/master/release
>
> However, relx should be a better way to go, if you can part with your
> reltool file.  I haven't found all the reltool options to be supported by
> relx, so I don't believe it is a fit for all situations.

But how do you manage the dependencies?

In a rebar world you're doing:

1. rebar get-deps
2. rebar compile which build deps and what you have in subdirs
3. rebar generate which reuses what you fetched in deps etc.

Using erlang.mk:

1. fetch the dependeinces using curl and some links you have in a file or
such thing
2. compile, but not sure if every apps in apps/* are compiled
3. use relx or anything else to buld the relese

You can also have 1 make file per app etc.

I am curious how people manage to get the dependencies without rebar or
erlang.mk, build them and then tell to reltools or relx where to find to
include them in the release.

IN cloudi it seems for examle that you're using rebar for that. but I can
see some projects around publishing their app without any support for
rebar. How is it handled behind?

- benoit