[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0 has been released

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Thu Apr 10 06:28:21 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:
> I am glad we have a new release, but there remains a version checking
> concern:
>
> I am a bit concerned the new versioning with 17.0 (not the release
> candidates) doesn't provide the minor release number.  This goes beyond the
> fact the erlang:system_info(otp_correction_package) removal breaks existing
> version checking source code (as was mentioned here
> http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-March/077998.html).

erlang:system_info(otp_correction_package) has only existed in one
release candidate. Never in a supported release.

> understand the html doc says "As of OTP release 17, the OTP release number
> corresponds to the major OTP version number. There is no
> erlang:system_info() argument giving the exact OTP version. This since the
> exact OTP version in the general case is hard to determine."
> (http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#system_info-1).  This could force
> the error-prone parsing of erlang:system_info(system_version) to get the
> release candidate number in the future, but the minor release number remains
> missing.  Isn't the minor release number required for support issues, to
> understand what anyone has installed?

No. This since an OTP installation may consist of multiple OTP
versions (in the case of licensed customers this is the typical case).
The set of installed application versions is more interesting
information.

The installation may, however, also consist of other modifications not
associated with an OTP version, be configured in different ways, etc.
In order to get the information we need, we've introduced
system_information:to_file/1
<http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/system_information.html#to_file-1>.
This since an OTP version gives us very little useful information.

> The current documentation wants
> people to make custom OTP_VERSION file in their target system
> (http://www.erlang.org/doc/system_principles/versions.html) but that isn't
> part of the installation, so it is in no way a standard, just an obscure
> detail.

The OTP version can only describe what is installed in the special
case when you build and install the system from one OTP version and
after that do not touch it. It may perhaps be a quite common special
case, but it is still a special case. If you know this about your
installed systems, you can put this information in your installation.
We do however not know that this is the case, and would present false
information to our users if we put the information there.

> How should we deal with understanding what has changed in a minor
> release?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Please, elaborate.

Regards,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB