[erlang-questions] Difference in 'close' for gen_tcp recv vs. active

Garret Smith garret.smith@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 07:37:33 CEST 2014

What OS are you running, and has the TCP stack been tuned/optimized with
sysctl's?

Does the problem happen all the time, or only sometimes?

In my quick test before posting, gen_tcp:send() returned {error, closed}
soon after my client disconnected without any recv's on the socket.  I was
sending single bytes at a time with a 1-second delay, so I'm sure no
buffers were overflowing to trigger the disconnect.  It acted pretty much
the same in about 5 attempts, so I'm really curious why we see different
behavior.

Tangential, but possibly interesting, I had to comment out 2 of the socket
options in your list.  I got a badarg from inet_tcp:listen with the
'broadcast' and 'dontroute' options.

-G